CITB Levy and Returns: who needs to be registered and why?
June 6, 2016
Contractor Travel & Subsistence claims – the rules!
February 14, 2017
Show all

Annual returns no longer exist. You are now required to submit a Confirmation Statement.

How is a Confirmation Statement different to an Annual Return?

The Confirmation Statement exists for the same reason as an Annual Return; for your company’s inclusion on the Public Register.

  • The main difference: no longer are you required to give your company’s information on a particular date. You are now annually required to read and confirm that the information currently being held about your company is correct.
  • Additional requirements: When you confirm your Confirmation Statement for the first time, you will also need to inform Companies House about the people on your PSC (people with significant control) register.

So what do I need to do to complete my Confirmation Statement?

The basics for completing a Confirmation Statement are quite simple. Just check and confirm that the information that is held about your company by Companies House is accurate and fully up to date. If you find that need to make changes to your Confirmation Statement, about your company’s SIC code or statement of capital for example, then you can update any information before you file the document. Your Confirmation Statement can be filed online.

  • Other changes: If you need to make additional changes or additions to your company’s information, then you will need to complete and submit another form at the same time as your Confirmation Statement.

Is the Confirmation Statement going to cost more than an Annual Return?


  • Online £13
  • On paper £40

The fee will be payable annually. If you wish to file multiple Confirmation Statements during the 12-month period, it will not incur any additional payment. Once you have registered to file your Confirmation Statement online, a reminder will be received when you log-on that you need to make a payment, and if your Confirmation Statement is submitted on paper, then a letter will be sent to your company’s registered office.

When does my Confirmation Statement need to be filed?

  • If your company has a made up date between now and 30 June 2016, then you need to file an Annual Return.
  • If your company has a made up date after 30 June 2016 then you need to file a Confirmation Statement.

What else do I need to know?

  • There is no longer a 28-day grace period; it is now a 14-day grace period
  • We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have about changes to the law or regulations regarding your company’s accounts. If you are a client here with us at J Williams and Co Chartered Accountants in Fareham, then just sit back and let us take care of everything for you!